You should have a look at the documentation for NSFormatter. You can define a
formatter for your text field that gets called when a number of different
things happen to/in the text field.

You might also want to have a look at the delegate methods available for an
NSTextField which get called when other things happen to/in the field.

At first you might think that building a formatter for a field that already
does what you want is redundant but you may find that the advantage of being
able to get control at virtually all stages of editing is worth it. I certainly
do.

On Apr 27, 2012, at 12:12 PM, Rick C. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I might be getting sleepy and overlooking the obvious, but I have a panel
> with a few text fields and I'm trying to figure out what gets called after
> entering a value into a text field and while it's still highlighted clicking
> it again?  In my case when entering a value into one of my text fields (let's
> say "30") I append a string to that value (let's say "Days").  I do this in
> the action method.  In my subclass in mouseDown I make it where if the value
> is "30 Days" when clicking the text field I will remove the "Days" so the
> user can easily edit only the "30" and I append the "Days" once again in the
> action method.  My problem is after clicking Enter for that text field if the
> user would try to edit it again without that text field ever losing focus the
> "Days" is not removed because mouseDown doesn't get called.  And I haven't
> been able to figure out what does get called in this situation?  Thanks,
>
> rc
>
> This email sent to 3tothe...@comcast.net

Charlie Dickman
3tothe...@comcast.net