On 2012-05-05, at 7:55 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
> On May 5, 2012, at 4:46 PM, Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com> wrote:
>>
>> (IIRC there are some AppKit geometry utility functions that will adjust
>> coordinate values to fit pixel boundaries in a resolution-independent way. I
>> don’t remember their names offhand.)
> -centerScanRect:, -convertRectToBacking: and friends. Which if I understand
> correctly you should now *always* use instead of adding half pixels because
> of HiDPI.
>> Someday every device will have retina-quality graphics and these details
>> won’t matter
> It still matters because coordinates in Quartz always refer to the infinitely
> thin space between device pixels.
>
> --Kyle Sluder
Thanks very much Jens and Kyle and everyone who contributed. Most valuable.
From now on I'll be using the
the NSView -convertPointFrom/To and -convertRectTo/From methods in their
various forms.
As for NSView's -centerScanRect I will try to understand where that should be
used by examining the code examples.
Also NSScreen -convertRectToBacking and-convertRectFromBacking methods as
appropriate.

This is my first time digging deeply into graphics. My previous work was
primarily DB, network and IOKit related.
THanks again and

respect….

Peter