I've traced the source of my memory corruption (cf) to a piece of 3rd party
code that monitors for directory changes using kqueue(). This hasn't given any
trouble for years, but now I'm making a lot of hardworking threads the bug is
making itself known.

I'm going to see if it's something obvious, but given how subtle and difficult
this one has proved to be to track down (doesn't show up when running with the
debugger), I'm also considering replacing it with something new based on
FSEvents.

The only small issue I see with that right now is that you have to specify the
list of directories "up front" and there isn't a way to change them while the
FSEvent stream is running. As the user uses my app, the directories to be
monitored will need to change, so I'm wondering what best practice is:

a). stop the stream and schedule a new one with the new list of paths,
b). create a separate stream for each directory I'm interested in.

I'm guessing that a) would be more efficient, but b) is going to be more
convenient.

Any advice?

--Graham