On 6/9/12, Todd Heberlein <todd_heberl...@mac.com> wrote:
> Probably a naive question, but can I use QTKit (or is there a better
> library?) to capture images (or videos) inside a UNIX helper application?
>

> I've never tried using Cocoa (and related) objects outside a regular Cocoa
> application with a GUI, NSApplicationMain(), etc. Is this generally
> prohibited?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Todd

It is possible and reasonable to write command line tools with Cocoa
(use the Foundation framework). Foundation has no GUI components. I'm
not sure about QTKit though. It may have GUI components and may
presume things about having a standard runloop.

As I mentioned in the other thread, AVFoundation is probably the
better way forward than QTKit. However, I don't know if how it will do
in a command line app.

ImageIO can get you image capabilities without needing a GUI and I
know that will work.

-Eric
--
Beginning iPhone Games Development