Sharing preferences between applications is not something you can rely on in
a sandboxed environment.  On 10.7, Preview and TextEdit are sandboxed so if
you're seeing this behavior with them, that's why.  You can reasonably
expect more applications to be sandboxed in the future.

On 6/21/12 2:44 PM, "Scott Ribe" <scott_r...@elevated-dev.com> thusly spake:

> On Jun 21, 2012, at 12:39 PM, Kyle Sluder wrote:
>
>> I guess the question is, why do you care whether the preferences have been
>> written to disk? As long as everyone is using the correct API to access
>> preferences, it doesn't matter whether CFPreferences is caching them in
>> memory before flushing them to disk.
>
> Because they do not always get flushed to disk; sometimes they disappear.
> Because it is completely random whether or not changes are visible to other
> applications that share them--despite their having been sync'd.

Chad Hulbert
Software Engineer
Xerox Corporation
800 Phillips Rd