On 06/07/2012, at 1:54 PM, Erik Stainsby wrote:

> Is it sufficient that the categories be loaded in the windowController code?
> Or do they need to be available in the framework context in which the plugins
> are actually loaded from nib?  That is, my categories are being added in the
> app not in the framework.

It would normally be sufficient, but I think you might be running into a load
order issue.

Is this right?: You have a class 'MyClass' defined by a plug-in, and a category
'MyClass (ExtraStuff)' defined by your app.

If so, I don't think that will work. When your app is loaded and linked when
it's launched, the category won't be attached to the class 'MyClass' because it
doesn't exist. It is only loaded and linked when the plug-in is loaded, but the
runtime can't retrospectively attach the category - its opportunity to do so
automatically has passed. You might be able to use the low-level runtime
methods to attempt to reattach the category after you have loaded the plug-ins.

Or it might be better to rethink how you're doing this so it's not so dependent
on load order.

(Of course, I may have totally misread the situation).

--Graham