>> In practice, NSOperationQueue probably releases the block when it's done
>> with it
>
> I'm curious about your use of the word "probably" here. Can you explain?

This is probably not what the OP had in mind, but I might mention that I've
seen situations where autoreleases associated with NSOperationQueues and GCD
queues have still been outstanding five minutes later under conditions of
extremely high load. (My suspicion is that a mouse click or other user event
causes these to be carried out, but I didn't test that one systematically).