I'm an adventurer, so I tried this:

=======
self.backgroundLayer.contents = nsImage;

CABasicAnimation *      crossfade;
crossfade = [CABasicAnimation animationWithKeyPath: @"contents"];
crossfade.duration = 2.0;
crossfade.removedOnCompletion = YES;
[self.backgroundLayer addAnimation: crossfade forKey: nil];
=======

This works as I expect: The contents of the layer transition smoothly, without
flicker.

        — F