Hello,

I have a UI where the user selects objects and edits them in a separate (popup) window. The window opens, displays various combo boxes, text fields, and so on all bound to the model objects through an NSArrayController via the selection proxy. Also, when the editing window opens up, the topmost edit field is made first responder.

When one object is being edited, this UI works well - nothing unexpected happens. However, when multiple objects are being edited, and those objects have different values, the text fields and combo boxes display the multiple values placeholder.

Of course that's expected but it's not intuitive for the user. I find that a list of values (those of the different objects selected) displayed in a "nice way" would be more helpful, but let's accept that for the moment.

What is more problematic is that if an edit field which displays the placeholder looses first responder, the model values are set to nil.

Now, together with my default UI behavior that the topmost field becomes first responder when the window opens, it effectively kills the existing model values for that field because the user can't close the window without existing the text field.

I think there should be a conscious decision and action involved by the user before the text values for a multi-selection get changed. Much like the behavior of a checkbox button. Tabing through the UI and killing all values along the path surely isn't very sensible.

That doesn't seem to be possible using bindings, I'm wondering how others solve this?

Regards
Markus