D'uh, I just realised I think you're talking about iOS, not Mac. There is no
NSSegmentedControl on iOS.

I'm not sure what options you have there, and I'm not sure I've seen any iOS
app with buttons that stay on, so perhaps it can't be done. You might want to
rethink your interface - or perhaps using custom images is the only solution.

--Graham