On 6 Aug 2012, at 01:01, Kyle Sluder wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2012, at 10:34 AM, "Gerriet M. Denkmann" <gerr...@mdenkmann.de>
> wrote:
>
>> I tried instead:
>>   //    opacity is 0.5
>>   [ CATransaction begin];
>>   [ CATransaction setAnimationDuration: 9 ];
>>   layer.opacity = 1;
>>   [ CATransaction commit];
>>
>>   [ CATransaction begin];
>>   [ CATransaction setAnimationDuration: 9 ];
>>   layer.opacity = 0.5;
>>   [ CATransaction commit];
>> but I only see the resulting opacity of 0.5.
>>
>> The view controller is a child of another view controller. The view is
>> subview of another view.
>
> Any reason you're animating the layer properties instead of the view
> properties? UIView exposes transform and opacity, and has its own animation
> methods.
No reason at all.

But I tried self.view.alpha instead of layer.opacity and did not see anything
changing either.

Now this code seems to be working:

        CALayer *layer = self.view.layer;
        if ( animated )
        {
                CABasicAnimation *thAnimation = [ CABasicAnimation
animationWithKeyPath: @"transform" ];
                thAnimation.duration = 0.3;

                CATransform3D oldTrans = layer.transform;
                thAnimation.fromValue = [ NSValue valueWithCATransform3D:
oldTrans ];

                CATransform3D newTrans = CATransform3DMakeAffineTransform (m);
                thAnimation.toValue = [ NSValue valueWithCATransform3D:
newTrans ];

                [ layer addAnimation: thAnimation forKey: @"rotateSlowly" ];
        };

        [ layer setAffineTransform: m ];