On Aug 12, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Charlie Dickman <3tothe...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Initially I'm interested in system wide memory usage (free, wired,active,
> inactive)

Hm, I've always found those numbers to be nearly useless, but YMMV.

> If hacking through Darwin is the only way to do this than never mind but with
> all of the programs out there that include these numbers there must be a
> better way to find out how it's done.

It's not 'hacking' exactly, just a bunch of low-level C APIs with too few
vowels in their names. If you've ever used sysctl or ioctl it's the same genre.
I'm fairly sure that's what everyone uses, because every time this question
comes up, the advice is to go look at 'top'.

—Jens