On Sep 4, 2012, at 8:20 AM, Graham Cox wrote:

> On 04/09/2012, at 9:28 PM, Akhil Jindal <akhi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Using NSWindowList, and iterating over them, I find the window to which the
>> event should belong. Now I have to find the NSView within the window.
>
> Ask the window for its firstResponder. That should be the object that events
> get directed to. It might not be a view but usually is. In any case it will
> be an NSResponder.
>
> Rather than iterating over the windows it also would probably be better to
> ask NSApp for its mainWindow (or keyWindow) then that window's firstResponder.

This would only be appropriate for events that don't have an inherent position,
like key events.  For events from a tablet, which do have a position, the first
responder is not the appropriate target.  This is just like for a mouse.
Certainly, you don't expect a click outside of the main or key window, or on a
button when a text field is the first responder, to only go to the first
responder, do you?

Regards,
Ken