On 23 Sep 2012, at 19:59, Georg Seifert <georg.seif...@gmx.de> wrote:

>> Another alternative would be to ask the system to autosave to an alternative
>> location which you do have write access to. Your users lose the ability to
>> easily spot the autosaved copy of the doc, but otherwise it should perform
>> fine.
>
> Can someone give me a hint on how to do that?

Reimplement -autosaveDocumentWithDelegate:didAutosaveSelector:contextInfo:
yourself to call through to
-saveToURL:ofType:forSaveOperation:delegate:didSaveSelector:contextInfo: with a
custom URL of your choosing.

>> That said, I would strongly encourage you to adopt autosave-in-place. You
>> describe the problem in two parts:
>>
>>> you do not like that any mouse click might change your document
>>

>> Surely this applies to either saving system?
>
> No, with the new style autosaving, the file changes on disk without asking
> the user.

That's kinda the point though; that the user no longer has to differentiate
between what's in memory and what's on disk. There's just "the document" and
that's it.