On Oct 23, 2012, at 2:43 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> If by "unapproved" you mean "my app's sandbox hasn't been extended to
> include this path" then you are incorrect. The user can choose the
> destination, and the NSURL you get back from the open panel will carry
> the rights to access that location.
>
> If by "unapproved" you mean "the user my app is running as doesn't have
> write permission to this location", then yes that is expected behavior.

I sandboxed my app in Xcode. In the app target entitlement area there are
access control options for Music, Movies, Pictures, and Downloads folders.
Access to these folders remained the default "No Access". I launched the app
and and saved a new document. In the save panel the Music folder was showing as
a Recent Place. I selected this as the save location and saving was a success.
As a developer, based on the entitlement settings, I was expecting failure.

Saving a new document to the users home directory (choose the home directory in
the save panel) resulted in failure. "The document could not be saved. You
don't have permission." As a developer this is what I expected.  From a users
point of view I was surprised that the save panel let the user choose a
location where a save was not allowed and subsequently would result in failure.

--Richard Somers