I do not understand what is going on with an application's sandboxed container
or Data directory.

NSHomeDirectory for an OS X sandboxed app points here.

     ~/Library/Containers/<bundle_id>/Data

The sandbox Data directory is pre-populated with items.

     Data/Desktop     (Alias)
     Data/Documents
     Data/Downloads   (Alias)
     Data/Library
     Data/Movies      (Alias)
     Data/Music       (Alias)
     Data/Pictures    (Alias)

So here are some of the unusual things.

1. If you specify "No Access" to the Music, Movies, Pictures, or Downloads
folders for the App Sandbox you can still save a document to those folders. So
much for the sandbox.

2. When a file is saved to the Documents folder in a save dialog, the file is
actually saved to ~/Documents not Data/Documents. So what is Data/Documents for?

3. Data/Documents is pre-populated with an iChat file alias. What is that for?

4. Local log files go in Data/Library/Logs but this location is not visible
from Console app. So all local log files are visible from Console except for
apps that are sandboxed. How can a user see local sandboxed log files?

5. Data/Library/Preferences is pre-populated with a bunch of preference plist
file aliases. One of the items is an alias to com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist. Why
would my app need default access to the Pages preference plist file? This seems
like a violation of sandboxing.

A lot of this simply does not make sense. What am I missing?

--Richard Somers