On 30 Nov 2012, at 18:59, Dave Fernandes <dave.fernan...@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> On 2012-11-30, at 6:42 AM, Mike Abdullah <cocoa...@mikeabdullah.net> wrote:
>
>> One way to look at it is that NSPersistentDocument pretty much painted
>> itself into a corner from day 1, and it's too messy for Apple to untangle
>> that.
>
> Can you elaborate?

Well it makes the assumptions that your document:

- is comprised of a single Core Data store
- has a single managed object context
- works entirely on the main thread
- only ever saves on top of itself, or to a new location using "Save As"

I wonder if there's simply too much fragility in the existing subclasses that
people have shipped, which make it a royal pain to try and modernise.