On Dec 23, 2012, at 21:32 , Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> C'mon, this has got to be easy, hasn't it?

Before iOS 6, the go-to cross-platform string drawing would be CoreText. For
something like what you described, I'd suggest you look here:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/StringsTextFonts/Conceptual/CoreText_Programming/Operations/Operations.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005533-CH4-SW18

under "Simple Text Labels".

Since iOS 6, NSAttributedString is probably your easiest cross-platform choice:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/UIKit/Reference/NSAttributedString_UIKit_Additions/Reference/Reference.html

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/Classes/NSAttributedString_AppKitAdditions/Reference/Reference.html

and use something like 'drawAtPoint:...'

> The check mark has a unicode value of 0x2713, so can't be represented by a
> char.

In either of the above cases, you're using NS/CFString, so you can represent
unicode easily. (You can even put the literal character in a string in your
source code, by copying it from the special characters panel.)