> On Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 09:32 PM, Graham Cox wrote:
>> I need to use Quartz to draw a single character - a check mark - in a
>> graphics context. I don't need anything elaborate, no typesetting etc, I
>> just want to draw a single checkmark.

I use the following code to put an arbitrary unicode string into a
CGContextRef. It might be useful in your situation.

NSString *downArrow = @"\u2B07";
[self showUnicodeString:ctx xPosition:x yPosition:y usingString:downArrow
usingColor:[NSColor redColor]];

- (void)showUnicodeString:(CGContextRef)ctx xPosition:(CGFloat)x
yPosition:(CGFloat)y usingString:(NSString *)theString usingColor:(NSColor
*)theColor
{
NSDictionary* fontAttrs = [NSDictionary dictionaryWithObjectsAndKeys:
                                        theColor,
NSForegroundColorAttributeName,
                                        [NSFont systemFontOfSize:12],
NSFontAttributeName,
                                        nil];
CGContextSaveGState(ctx);
[theString drawAtPoint:NSMakePoint(x, y) withAttributes:fontAttrs];
CGContextRestoreGState(ctx);
CGContextSetTextMatrix(ctx, CGAffineTransformIdentity);
}

Jeff Schriebman
An educated mind can entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle