Okay, I figured this out. They *are* hinting at gestureRecognizerShouldBegin:
here. The reason why I was confused is that a UIButton's default implementation
of gestureRecognizerShouldBegin:, which is undocumented (of course), is to
return NO if the gesture recognizer is a single tap gesture recognizer
**belonging to a superview of the button**, but YES otherwise. I was testing
initially by attaching the gesture recognizer to the button, so I was seeing
the old iOS 5 behavior where the gesture recognizer breaks the button. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = m...@tidbits.com, http://www.apeth.net/matt/
Programming iOS 5! http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023562.do