On Jan 3, 2013, at 8:49 AM, Fritz Anderson <fri...@manoverboard.org> wrote:

> iOS 6
>
> I have (or will have) a Core Data store, one entity of which has an attribute
> that is a French word. French collates differently than English or a naïve
> Unicode sort would. My application will have both English and French
> localizations. It is next-to-nonnegotiable that the word lists I present be
> sorted in French order, regardless of the current locale. There will be
> 74,000 instances; I'd like to have tables that narrow down by incremental
> prefix searches.
>
> NSString has comparison methods that can take account of a specified locale,
> so if I'm working in code, I don't (I hope) have a problem.
>
> But I'd like to get ordered results from Core Data fetches. My first
> impression is that I could use the …comparator: versions of NSSortDescriptor,
> and put my localized comparison in the block. But I know Core Data is often
> pickier about what NSFetchRequest will do for you. The examples in the
> documentation are confined to …Key:ascending: descriptors.
>
> I have three questions.
>
> 1. Are block-comparator sort descriptors permitted in NSFetchRequest?

Not for SQL stores. Unsure about XML. Supported for in-memory.

> 2. If so, am I setting myself up for unacceptable performance?
>
> 3. If so, can you suggest another approach?

In-memory scan? 74,000 items might not be all that many to fault in and sort.

Alternatively, manually maintain an English and a French index when updating
your data. Dunno of the best strategy here. the naive solution is to have a
"french_index" and "english_index" column, but updating all the rows in your
database just to handle a single insertion at the front of the list seems like
a bad idea. But if your word list is static, that seems like the perfect
approach.

--Kyle Sluder