On Jan 9, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:04 AM, John McCall wrote:
>> There is no one standard calling convention on ARM;  ARM has revised its
>> suggested ABI multiple times.  iOS follows a relatively old convention
>> which, among other things, does not pass floating-point arguments in
>> floating-point registers.  This is suboptimal but not fixable without a
>> total ABI break.
>
> That's what I was afraid of. :( Did Apple take advantage of the move to
> ARMv7 to introduce a more performant calling convention?

No. On iOS, ARMv7 and ARMv6 code can interoperate freely, so there was no
opportunity to introduce changes to parameter-passing.

Without heroic measures, a true ABI break means either "your old apps don't
work" or "there are two copies of the OS shared library stack in memory". The
sub-optimal parts of our ARM ABI aren't bad enough to justify that cost.

--
Greg Parker     gpar...@apple.com     Runtime Wrangler