On Jan 12, 2013, at 7:08 AM, William J. Cheeseman <wjcheese...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My best guess is that the problem results from the fact that the overlay
> window spans all attached screens. An NSLog() call confirms that the window's
> backingScaleFactor is always 1.0 (because it is initially created on a
> non-retina display in my testing). There is no NSWindow method to
> -setBackingScaleFactor, so there appears to be nothing I can do about this.
> Reading the documentation about CALayer and HiDPI screens very, very
> carefully, I notice that it always assumes that the layer-hosting view is in
> a window that is being dragged across screen boundaries. Am I correct in
> guessing that a fixed multi-screen window simply isn't capable of displaying
> HiDPI images if the window started out with a backingScaleFactor of 1.0?
>
> If that's correct, I guess I'll have to abandon my multi-screen overlay
> window and implement a multi-overlay-window solution, which is going to be a
> ton of work. Unless somebody can suggest a different approach using a
> multi-screen overlay window.

A single window which overlays multiple screens with each screen using a
possibly different backingScaleFactor. Wow!

It seems like you have three options.

1. Use a single overlay window for all screens and continue fighting the
frameworks.

2. Use one overlay window for each screen and go with the flow of the
frameworks.

3. Try cursor replacement. Take the current cursor image, combine it with your
image, and then somehow tell the system to use that.

--Richard Somers