On Jan 12, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Richard Somers <rsomers...@awinets.com> wrote:

> A single window which overlays multiple screens with each screen using a
> possibly different backingScaleFactor. Wow!

It's the only way I could find to detect when the mouse enters any particular
screen, using NSTrackingArea with -[NSResponder mouseEntered:]. My code for
this is simple and quite effective except when a retina display is in issue.
It's also very easy to reset the tracking areas when the user changes screen
parameters.

> It seems like you have three options.

> 2. Use one overlay window for each screen and go with the flow of the
> frameworks.

I have a demo working now, in which I set up a separate overlay window for each
screen. It remains to be seen whether this will solve the retina display and
Core Animation issues. I have left the multi-screen window for mouse tracking
in place at the same time, at least for testing purposes.

> 3. Try cursor replacement. Take the current cursor image, combine it with
> your image, and then somehow tell the system to use that.

I have no prior experience in this area. Can a cursor be created that animates
using Core Animation?

--

Bill Cheeseman - b...@cheeseman.name