Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but after going over the
available docs, I am still at a loss and I feel that discussing the topic here
may be of use to the community as a whole.

When an iOS app is installed, I know that there is an embedded.mobileprovision
provisioning profile within the app.

Yet when the app is removed from the device, the provision file remains.  Where
is this stored?  Is it copied into the keychain on the device on installation?
How does the General Settings Profile list view and the iPhone Configuration
Utility get the information for which lists all the installed provisioning
profiles?

Was wondering if there are any resources anyone can point me to on this topic.

TIA