On Jan 16, 2013, at 6:09 PM, Melvin Walker <mwal...@mac.com> wrote:
[...]
>> When you select a color in the panel, NSColorPanel sends a changeColor:
>> message to the first responder. It also sends its action message (set by
>> setAction:) to its target object (set by setTarget:), provided that neither
>> the action nor the target is nil. NSColorPanel also sends its action to its
>> target whenever you select a color in the color panel.
>
> Yes, and this is the behavior I want to avoid.
>
> I can turn off the send-to-target behavior easily enough, but I can't turn
> off the send-a-changeColor:-message behavior.

It looks like Apple really, really doesn't want you to do this. Every sneaky
kludge I've thought of is thwarted by limitations of the API.

This makes sense to me. I like that the standard color panel is always synced
with the color of the first responder for a consistent user experience at all
times in all apps.

So we come to the old question: what are you really trying to do? If it doesn't
reveal too much about your project, what are the meanings of the colors in
question, and what use case do you have that warrants deviating from the
standard behavior?

--Andy