On Jan 18, 2013, at 2:18 , John McCall <rjmcc...@apple.com> wrote:

> This is off-topic for this list, but since I'm here anyway, I'll answer.  In
> the future, though, please take this to a venue that's more specific to C++.

Well, I am developing a Cocoa app, using Objective-C++ and clang (via Xcode). I
just sanitized my example. Some stuff I read online suggested it might be a
clang bug. I considered the Xcode list, but figured since this was more in the
language than the tool, I asked here. Perhaps by that reasoning, I should've at
least posted there instead.

I could try to find a C++ list, or perhaps Stack Overflow, in the future, but
it didn't seem that off-topic to me.

> I believe that most expert C++ programmers would say that virtual inheritance
> is something that you should use very carefully, if you really must use it at
> all.  Using it pervasively as your standard method of inheritance is almost
> certainly a sign of a poor class design.

I ended up getting rid of all the virtuals anyway; turns out (so far), my
hierarchy doesn't end up duplicating subobjects.

Thanks for the answer.

--
Rick