> I don't understand that. The search pattern for valueForKey: is documented
> very clearly and if you have a myColor method or a _myColor instance
> variable, as you surely must, it should find it and return it. The only
> question from reading the documentation is .. what should it return it as?
> Were that the issue, it having a problem converting a CGColorRef to something
> it can return, I'd not expect valueForUndefinedKey: but some other exception.

But right you most definitely are .. it fails in exactly that way.

If I change the property type to a non-object type (I used NSUInteger) and look
at the stack trace where KVC is getting the value it's like this

_NSGetUnsignedIntValueWithMethod
_NSGetUsingKeyValueGetter

so yes it seems key value coding code looks at the type of the return and calls
a method for that particular type. void*s seem to be beyond it and that counts
as an undefined key. A note in the documentation about types it can't convert
and return might be helpful here. I looked at the return type of the getter
method and it's "^v", that's pointer to void is it not? I suppose it would be
hard for the runtime to do anything sensible with that generically so it
doesn't.