On Jan 31, 2013, at 21:51 , Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> All CFTypes are toll-free bridges to NSObject. (I was surprised when I
> learned this, and I don't know how far back this holds true.)

> GCD objects and XPC objects are NSObjects as of 10.8.

Ah, yes, I see now this is so, now that I look.

I presume the reason these don't work with KVC is that KVC checks the type
information of a property and will see something like this:

> /* CoreGraphics - CGPath.h
>    Copyright (c) 2001-2011 Apple Inc.
>    All rights reserved. */
>
> typedef struct CGPath *CGMutablePathRef;
> typedef const struct CGPath *CGPathRef;

So KVC isn't going to know these are objects. Interestingly, types like
'dispatch_semaphore_t' aren't declared this way, so they probably *do* work via
'valueForKey:' without assistance.