Trying to see if I understand this correctly and what I may be doing wrong. I
have a tab bar project that is in my workspace and I've added this to its font
property: UI_APPEARANCE_SELECTOR as such:

@interface AKTabBarButton : UIView {

}

@property (nonatomic, strong) UIFont *tabFont UI_APPEARANCE_SELECTOR;

- (id)initWithTabBarItem:(AKTabBarItem*)item;
@end

Within the initWithFrame: method:

label.font = self.tabFont ? self.tabFont : [UIFont boldSystemFontOfSize:10];

and in code before we ever create any tab bars:

[[AKTabBarButton appearance] setTabFont:[UIFont boldSystemFontOfSize:12]];

However self.tabFont is always nil. Its never getting my customized font. All
the articles/websites/devforum pages I've read say that this is all I should
have to do, but as something that's not documented much I'm not seeing how its
supposed to work.

I'd love any tips or pointers on what I'm doing wrong.