Thanks a lot for your comments. I have tried to set
setCacheMode:NSImageCacheNever, but that still left the file open.

But I have changed my code to use this now:

        NSImage         *result = [[NSImage alloc]
initByReferencingFile:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:[theName
stringByDeletingPathExtension] ofType:@"png"]];
        [result autorelease];

And this works!!! No more image files left open. That is definitely a bug in
Mac OS X 10.8.2, I can't believe this is intended behavior…

Yours,

> while testing the latest version of my software in 10.8.2, I noticed that
> there are a lot of open files, more than in 10.6.8.
>
> I tracked it down to an animation I use, and the png files I load for that.
>
> In Mac OS X 10.6.8, it works fine, and closes the image files after use. But
> in 10.8.2, it keeps every single one of them open.
>
> Here is the code I use:
>
>       NSImage                 *nextImage = [NSImage
> imageNamed:@"Animator1.png"];
>       if (nextImage != NULL)
>               [myImageView setImage:nextImage];
>
> myImageView is a regular NSImageView. The app is non GC, and non ARC.
>
> Is that a new "feature" of Mountain Lion?
>
> The problem is that my software deals with a LOT of files, and so it would be
> nice to keep the number of open files as small as possible at any time.
>
> And ideas?

Norbert M. Doerner
ndoer...@wfs-apps.de

CEO, West-Forest-Systems
In der Trift 13
56459 Langenhahn, Germany
Fon: +49 (2663) 91 70 128       (Central European Time Zone...)
Fax: +49 (2663) 91 70 126
AIM (iChat), Skype: cdfinderceo
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/neofinder
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NeoFinder