I have built a minimal app in xCode 4.6 ( latest release ) running on 10.8.2  -
 and naturally the directory popup in the NSSavePanel  works perfectly.
I started the save panel, as before, with  runModal.

I have gone back to my main app and stripped the method to practically nothing
but setting the file name and doing runModal.
It still dies on me when I click the directory popup.

I have combed my settings etc for clues.
I am compiling the app for 10.8 with a deployment platform of 10.6
The code line started about eight years ago and with all updates of OSX and
xCode, issues have always been minimal.
It's  only straight  Objective-C  and Cocoa API's throughout.

Needless to say, when I run the  10.8.2  /  xCode 4.6   build of the app in
10.7 or 10.6 it runs perfectly and the directory popup runs just fine.

I have checked it out in instruments - and there does not seem to be anything
amiss.

Having spent ( to my horror ) nearly a 100 hours trying to run this to ground,
I  have decided that our users won't get an option where to put their files.
I'll create a directory on the desktop for them and dump any output into that
directory.

Many thanks to all for your thoughts.

Naturally, any more hints or suggestions welcome.

Peter