I don't have the answer to your question, but here is a thought:
Virtual machines, such as VMWare, present some generic hardware to the OS they
run. Could you detect the available hardware, check the vendor, and then decide
wether or not you are running in a virtual environment ?

Jean

Jean Suisse
Institut de Chimie Moléculaire de l’Université de Bourgogne
(ICMUB) — UMR 6302