NSSearchField is an NSTextField subclass, which uses an NSTextFieldCell
subclass (NSSearchFieldCell) to actually do most of the work. As such it uses
the current field editor. So you'll have to subclass NSSearchFieldCell, add an
instance variable in which you create your NSTextView subclass, and return that
from -fieldEditorForView:. If you have a XIB, you can just change the "custom
class" of the NSSearchFieldCell to your subclass, otherwise you are probably
best off subclassing NSSearchField as well and calling setCellClass: on that.

It's a bit more subclassing than one would expect, but each subclass implements
about one method, so it's a bunch of really simple subclasses.

Cheers,
-- Uli Kusterer
"The Witnesses of TeachText are everywhere..."
http://www.zathras.de