On Apr 19, 2013, at 14:39 , Steve Mills <smi...@makemusic.com> wrote:

> so autosave will happen again during playback

You may have covered this ground already and I missed it, but what happens if
you return NO from the autosave, along with a cancel error (that is,
domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain code=NSUserCancelledError).

On iOS, the document has a special "save failed" state, and I believe it will
try again later. It's possible that something similar may occur on OS X. Or, if
it just stops autosave cold, perhaps you can forcibly dirty the document again
later.

The point of returning a cancel error is that NSDocument tends not to report
that particular error via a sheet.