On May 7, 2013, at 4:45 PM, gweston <gwes...@mac.com> wrote:

>> In that case, I think Steve needs to quit whining that Apple engineers
>> aren't doing his job for him, and implement his own menu drawing for his
>> specialized case.
>
> You need to consider the possibility that Apple decided that not everything
> Carbon was able to do was legitimate to carry forward. That some of it might
> have even been fundamentally detrimental to user experience. It's among the
> most common reasons for behavior to be deprecated.

In this case, it's really more a lack of demonstrated interest as evidenced by
Radar. I did a little Radar searching and found one Radar requesting support
for numeric keypad command keys. That was from 2002. That bug is still in
Analyze and there's no reason we couldn't do it in a future release if there's
more interest in this feature expressed by developers. But the fact that it
hasn't been done, in this case, has nothing to do with a desire to deprecate
the feature.

Of course, ideally we would have provided every feature in Cocoa that was in
active use by Carbon developers already. No debate there. But bugs and features
get priority based on demand.

-eric