On May 8, 2013, at 23:17, "David M. Cotter" <m...@davecotter.com> wrote:

>> TextMate also draws a custom string as key equivalent ... the only (user
>> visible) shortcoming I have found is that it doesn’t left/right align the
>> key/modifier glyphs
> this was a requirement of ours, to have it actually be right aligned, that's
> why we needed a custom view

The string itself is right-aligned. The issue is with not aligning on the split
between the modifier(s) and keys, e.g.:

Here the modifiers for the C-binding is not aligned correctly with those of the
P-bindings.

A fix could be to enforce a minimum width for the character, but not sure if
there are string/paragraph attributes which allow this.

Another solution I am considering is using an image in the attributed string —
this should provide most of the advantages of not replacing the menu item (with
a custom view) yet give complete control over rendering of the “activation
string”.

>> ability to set key equiv by glyph or key code
> actually our need is to have the ability to have an arbitrary *string* appear
> as the "shortcut".  we don't care about the actual key equivalent, since we
> already handle this internally (not using OS)

This API would also fail to align modifiers across strings.