On Jun 3, 2013, at 8:59 AM, Jonathan Taylor <jonathan.tay...@glasgow.ac.uk>
wrote:

> The program loads and processes a large number (~2000) image files, and I
> believe that I am disposing of memory and draining autorelease pools
> correctly. Running the program under ObjectAlloc, it never reports memory
> usage over 300MB.

I don’t know if ObjectAlloc is supported anymore; you should be using
Instruments.

It’s been a long time since I used that app, so I don’t know if it reports all
heap allocations or just Obj-C objects. The problem is that a small object
(like an NSImageRep) can be hanging onto huge memory buffers for pixels.

> The problem seems to be that, even though ObjectAlloc thinks the memory has
> been released, it is not actually being properly freed up until some time
> later. The memory usage as reported in Activity Monitor climbs higher and
> higher until, if left unattended, there is apparently no more memory
> available.

There are a lot of different numbers measuring different kinds of memory usage,
and not all of them are relevant to this. What specific value in Activity
Monitor are you talking about? The most relevant one is Private Mem (RPRVT).

—Jens