Thankyou all for your replies. A few responses -

On 4 Jun 2013, at 16:30, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> We've run into this issue in a number of apps. As a workaround, we add a
> timer to the main thread and have it fire periodically. The timer's action
> method does the following:

Thanks again! I've implemented your code and that has "fixed" my problem -
great news.

On 4 Jun 2013, at 18:33, Jens Alfke wrote:
> I don’t know if ObjectAlloc is supported anymore; you should be using
> Instruments.
>
> It’s been a long time since I used that app, so I don’t know if it reports
> all heap allocations or just Obj-C objects. The problem is that a small
> object (like an NSImageRep) can be hanging onto huge memory buffers for
> pixels.

Apologies, I meant the Allocations tool within Instruments. [Incidentally, in
my install ObjectAlloc just launches Instruments/Allocations]

As far as I can see, the Allocations tool does not report memory that is
pending release from an autorelease pool. It would be interesting to know if
there was a way of monitoring that. Re your suggestion about wrapping code with
my own autorelease pools, I have done so but I am pretty sure the movie
generation APIs that I am using launch their own threads, ones that I don't
have control over. Without being able to see exactly what allocations are still
pending release, I can't be sure, but I am as certain as I can be that that's
where the memory-pending-autorelease must be accumulating.

>> The problem seems to be that, even though ObjectAlloc thinks the memory has
>> been released, it is not actually being properly freed up until some time
>> later. The memory usage as reported in Activity Monitor climbs higher and
>> higher until, if left unattended, there is apparently no more memory
>> available.
>
> There are a lot of different numbers measuring different kinds of memory
> usage, and not all of them are relevant to this. What specific value in
> Activity Monitor are you talking about? The most relevant one is Private Mem
> (RPRVT).

Yep, that's the one. (I was trying to keep my original email reasonably
concise!)

Cheers
Jonny.