I agree it's a bit off-topic, but I find too many people use apostrophes. Style
manuals differ in their recommendations, but I tend to fall into the camp that
suggests apostrophes should not be used unless absolutely necessary.

The best thing for the programming case, where you want to avoid confusion
between the precise symbol name and the pluralized version, is to change the
font style used for the symbol. That is, write the symbol in a monospaced font,
and append an "s" without apostrophe in the font style of the surrounding text.
Obviously this is hard to do in email. My take is that it's probably pretty
easy to deal with this imprecision most of the time, and too often I need to
indicate actual possession or contraction with those symbols. So, I never use
an apostrophe to pluralize.

I don't use apostrophes on acronyms, or numbers, either. One style manual
suggests an apostrophe only if periods are used, and not if not.

In any case, far too many people use far too many apostrophes when pluralizing,
and it's causing me to make more such mistakes just from constantly reading
theirs. Please stop.

--
Rick

--