On Jul 15, 2013, at 7:14 PM, Peter Teeson <ptee...@icloud.com> wrote:

> On 2013-07-13, at 3:43 PM, Peter Teeson wrote:
>> Thanks for helping me. I dug out the docs you recommended and will learn.
> Read them all and looked at example plist in TextEdit.
> I don't want any other app to read or edit my format. So have not exported
> the UTI.

That's not what the distinction between “exported” and “imported” means. They
merely define an order precedence; if no exported types are found for a given
tag (file extension, MIME type, etc.), but a matching imported type exists, the
imported type will be used.

You don't get to stop other developers from attempting to open files produced
by your app. And if you fail to export your type, then when a user installs an
app that imports your type, their documents will all attempt to open in that
app by default because you didn't declare yourself as authoritative on that
type by declaring it as exported.

Please do read the UTI documentation. It explains all this.

> Still cannot get it to work. And the folder contents are correct. I feel
> stupid.
>
> Here is my current Info.plist.
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
> "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd";>
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
>    <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
>    <string>11G63b</string>
>    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
>    <string>en</string>
>    <key>CFBundleDocumentTypes</key>
>    <array>
>        <dict>
>            <key>CFBundleTypeIconFile</key>
>            <string>DocIcons.icns</string>
>            <key>CFBundleTypeName</key>
>            <string>GImage Document</string>
>            <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
>            <string>Editor</string>
>            <key>LSItemContentTypes</key>
>            <array>
>                <string>com.apple.package</string>

This is wrong. It needs to be _your_ UTI, which needs to _conform_ to
com.apple.package. Right now, you're trying to claim that all file packages on
the system are instances of your document type.

FWIW, no on-disk file or folder can ever be of type com.apple.package itself,
because that type has no tags. A folder can only ever be of a type that
_conforms_ to com.apple.package.

--Kyle Sluder