On 2013/07/28, at 1:35, Kyle Sluder <k...@ksluder.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013, at 09:16 AM, dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>>> Why??? If the run loop on the main thread is busy, your display won't
>>> update anyway. I think you're adding a lot of complexity for 0 gain.
>> Why would I add to slowing down the main thread when I can run a
>> dispatch_timer on another thread and get the timer to fire more reliably?
>> That doesn't make sense.
>
> More threads != more better.
One more thread.
Really, surprised by this as I never said anything about more threads being
better. Only that I don't want this timer on the main run loop.

> You're drawing on the main thread. Firing the timer on a background
> thread gets you _zero_ benefit, because you have to forward those timer
> pulses to the main thread anyway!
 I just tried both approaches and guess which one stays right there with the
menu bar clock and which one lags?
dispatch timer is the winner.
And it's not doing a lot.

I built a test app for each approach to verify.
In each timer I set an NSDate property to the latest date, and set the
stringValue on an NSTextField.
I'm not using bindings.

Maybe I should try a different run loop mode than default for NSTimer?

Happy to hear suggestions here, but I see dispatch timer giving the precision
desired and I don't feel like its costing me anything to accomplish.

As per the docs, NSTimer gives millisecond accuracy, but can fire some
undetermined time after the set fire interval.