Anyone know how to properly set the borderWidth on a UITableViewCell's
image.imageView layer?

Setting the layer's borderWidth and borderColor work just fine on a
UITableViewCell's layer, when setting them in tableView:cellForRowAtIndexPath,
but the same code on the cell.imageView.layer has no effect at all.

I've searched through StackOverflow and have found answers that all look
similar, but all with no visual effect on the resulting image.

In Xcode 4.3 on iOS 6.x

This works fine to put very obvious borders around the cell:

   UITableViewCell *cell = [tableView
dequeueReusableCellWithIdentifier:CellIdentifier];

   cell.imageView.image = [UIImage imageNamed:@"myImage.png"];

   CALayer *layer;
   //layer = cell.layer; // -- I work just fine
   //layer = cell.imageView.layer; // -- I do nothing
   [layer setMasksToBounds:YES];
   [layer setCornerRadius:10.0f];
   [layer setBorderWidth:10.0f];

If you uncomment the first layer line and run the app, there is a large black
border around the cell, but if you uncomment the second and run there is no
effect on the image at all.

Any ideas what I'm missing here?  Thanks in advance.

- Alex Zavatone