The error is very intermittent which makes narrowing it down hard, and setting
the breakpoint as advised hasn't helped me since there isn't anything of mine
in the call stack when the condition is encountered:

#0      0x97a7610a in CGErrorBreakpoint
#1      0x97b0b9e0 in CGSGlobalErrorv
#2      0x978e96d5 in CGSUnionRegionWithRect
#3      0x984ea84c in -[NSRegion addRegion:]
#4      0x984ea69d in -[NSWindow _setNeedsDisplayInRegion:]
#5      0x9843ae86 in -[NSWindow _absorbDeferredNeedsDisplayRegion]
#6      0x98439a54 in -[NSView
_sendViewWillDrawInRect:clipRootView:suppressRecursion:]
#7      0x9839c80e in -[NSView displayIfNeeded]
#8      0x98365b64 in -[NSWindow displayIfNeeded]
#9      0x9839707e in _handleWindowNeedsDisplay
#10     0x94f04dd2 in __CFRunLoopDoObservers
#11     0x94ec0ced in __CFRunLoopRun
#12     0x94ec03c4 in CFRunLoopRunSpecific
#13     0x94ec01f1 in CFRunLoopRunInMode
#14     0x92e8ce04 in RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
#15     0x92e8cbb9 in ReceiveNextEventCommon
#16     0x92e8ca3e in BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode
#17     0x9836d595 in _DPSNextEvent
#18     0x9836cdd6 in -[NSApplication
nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:]
#19     0x9832f1f3 in -[NSApplication run]
#20     0x98327289 in NSApplicationMain
#21     0x00002b69 in start at vector.tcc:244

Can anyone advise on anything I can do to help diagnose this? Even something
that made it happen much more frequently would be some help, as I might then
have more of a chance of narrowing down the cause by disabling chunks of code.

Cheers
Jonny