On Sep 12, 2013, at 9:11 AM, Benjamin Rindt wrote:

> I'm really confused with the array controller and core data. I don't know
> what I have to use to get what I want.
> My program has for now a CollectionView which is populated by a core data
> fetch request.
>
> If I use an arrayController, I don't have to make this fetch do I? I can tell
> the array controller to fetch: ?

You don't even need to call -fetch: in most cases--the array controller can
fetch itself when automaticallyPreparesContent is set.

> Next thing is, when new Items are added to the collection view, it should
> automatically change.
> A binding of the collection view is enough? Something like [collectionview
> bind: toObject:….]

Not in your case. There is no way I can think of via pure KVO that the array
controller would know that its fetched set may have changed. It might if you
use NSArrayController's methods to add/remove objects, and if so you would also
get undo support for free, but I don't remember whether it works for fetched
results (works really well for relationships).

> And, for now I add data to my core data database with
> insertNewObjectForEntityForName. Is that okay or should I add it with the
> array controller's add oder insertObject methods? The new entries have to
> keep their relationships and I don't know how I can define them with the
> array controller methods.

You could try using NSArrayController's methods, and if that doesn't work, then
you need to tell the array controller to refetch whenever items are
added/removed, either in the add/remove methods or similar in an NSArray
subclass.

HTH,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.