On 12 Sep 2013, at 09:54, Graham Cox <graham....@bigpond.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2013, at 5:33 PM, Etienne Samson <samson.etie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the best way for what you're trying to do is to subclass
>> NSNotificationCenter (or at least provide your own framework-wide singleton
>> that quacks like it), wrap -postNotification: with some dictionary-munging
>> code that keeps tracks of the last notification send by notification name,
>> and have -addObserver:… (you'll have to find the one that actually is the
>> designated call, the one all the others expect) check that cache and issue a
>> -postNotification: call for that object only (you don't want to notify all
>> old objects, only the one that just registered).
>

> I'd disagree with this - subclassing something like NSNotificationCenter is a
> sledgehammer to crack a nut, and don't forget about the potential side
> effects where it is used for lots of other unrelated notifications.
>
> Why not just have a class method on the sender of the notification that
> stores the most recent data sent by an instance of that class? Then when a
> new instance of the notification receiver is inited, it can grab the latest
> data from the class method to set itself up? No hacks required.

I see your point but there were 27 cases like this and I didn't want to add all
that code. The only impact on NSNotificationCenter to the rest of the App is
that

- (void)postNotificationName:(NSString*) theName object:(id) theObject
userInfo:(NSDictionary*) theUserInfoDictionary;

Which just stores the notification name and the User Info dictionary in a
private dictionary.

Then just the places that need it call:

+(void) repostNotiticationName:(NSString*) theName;
+(NSDictionary*) getRememberedNotiticationName:(NSString*) theName;

Thinking about it again now, it might have been better to add a

- (void)postAndRememberNotificationName:(NSString*) theName object:(id)
theObject userInfo:(NSDictionary*) theUserInfoDictionary;

Maybe I will revisit at some point.

All the Best
Dave