On Oct 1, 2013, at 13:02 , Dave <d...@looktowindward.com> wrote:

> http://m.gunwharf-quays.com/whats-on/policing-through-ages
>
> If you open the above link on an iPhone and then click the Add to Calendar
> button, you will that it appears to add an event to the calendar WITHOUT
> asking the user for permission! How does it manage to do it?

As far as I can tell, that link delivers an ics file, “event.ics”, which is
then opened automatically by the OS (also happens for ics attachments in Mail).
 Since this only writes to the calendar and the original stink that caused
restrictions was about reading calendar/address book info and uploading that to
a server, I guess Apple finds that OK.

Now I don’t remember any sanctioned ways to open a file without user
interaction, so this might not actually help you...

Marcel

—— snip ——
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
PRODID:-//hacksw/handcal//NONSGML v1.0//EN
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20131005
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20131006