On 2013 Oct 16, at 12:47, Flavio Donadio wrote:
For sure, ODBC is not the answer here, nor direct client access to the database, as we need something to manage locking and concurrency, as you said -- unless the RDBMS can do that. Is there such a beast?

The reason we look to CoreData as a Holy Grail kind of thing is that ...

...It seems to be logically connected to things we used to do in different ways, with different tools, with variously different design goals in mind when we created or worked with them. And we know handling fine-grained concurrency is a bear, but we know such exist from, e.g. OLTP packages for managing state lotteries, airline reservations, etc., which manage to handle concurrency and distributed processing and distributed data-bases, even though we don't know exactly how they manage to do it (I mean, I know for a fact from talking with some of their developers that several of them grew out of extremely dinosaur-kludgey heavy-metal remote card-reader/-punch/printer stations in the 1970s, FCOL).

So, as with many things, it's frustrating when it falls short of our expectations and hopes, though those (our expectations and hopes) were not part of the CoreData developers' reckonings which they think they've explained in the docs, and it grows more frustrating all the time.

(Ditto with OpenGL, Quartz, source library/configuration management/version control...)

It's just so almost good, but... severely kludged and impaired, instead. (We still want affordable 500m/h flying-cars which get 50 miles/gallon for everyman.)

I'd almost prefer the old relational data-base API from RIM circa 1982, and a separate graphical Object-Relation Model graphing tool, (and the CAD/CAD/CAM package we had back in 1986 for the graphics, and the source library management tools we had in 1986, and more (or all) of the library linkage controls that have been available at various times since 1980 on high-end systems -- some of which were developed right there in Sunnyvale). A code or declarations/header file generator add-on to the ORM grapher would be nice, too, but I could live and be productive without it.

That's all I will say about it now.