My app's helper uses CFPreferencesAppSynchronize() to update preferences of its
main app, in whose package it resides.

CFPreferencesAppSynchronize() sometimes logs this to the system console…

ERROR: looping synchronize attempt.
Dirty keys count is 1.
Saved server state is 3650.
Shmem state is 3650.
Shmem index is 976.
Shmem page is 0x1007da000.
accessPath is (null)

What in the world might that mean?

• Google search on "looping synchronize attempt" shows one (1) hit: A Photoshop
user found a bunch of these in system logs, while investigating Photoshop
misbehavior.  No explanation.

• I was wondering if maybe this could happen if my helper invokes
CFPreferencesAppSynchronize() at the same time that the main app is (race
condition).  In general, the answer is "no" because I see it happening when the
main app has been quiet for several seconds.

• I did an experiment to see if this could be caused by invoking
CFPreferencesAppSynchronize() when there are no changes to synchronize.  In
general, the answer is "no".

Thanks!

Jerry Krinock