Jens,

> I haven’t dug all the way into NSIncrementalStore yet. But the assumption
> you’re making is that you can take an architecture that works for a local
> single-user database, and transparently make it work over a worldwide network
> with lots of users just by [colorful metaphor ahead, not meant to be
> insulting!] snipping the wire labeled “SQLite” and soldering it to a wire
> labeled “Internet”.

I also assume the same... Maybe that's because Apple says this (emphasis mine),
right there in the docs*:

Use incremental stores when:

• Your data is too large to load into memory all at once
• Retrieving your data is an expensive or time-consuming operation
• Access to your data is dependent on device conditions (network connectivity,
resource availability, etc)

For example, you might use a custom incremental store to retrieve data from a
web service, query an unsupported database format, interface with legacy code,
or bridge with cross-platform code-bases. Implement your own custom incremental
store when one of these situations applies and the built-in store types do not
meet your needs.

It even goes on to say that NSSQLiteStoreType is an NSIncrementStore!

So, I understand that the heart of the matter here is "single-user vs.
multi-user" -- not network availability, stability, security or whatever is
discussed in "Fallacies of Distributed Computing Explained". Which, in turn,
makes the remaining issues focus on concurrency and locking when using web
services, as they are, in nature, non-atomic and non-transactional, like
pointed out by you, Jens.

Or did I miss something, besides Jim Roepcke's advice -- which is a very real
possibility?

Best regards,
Flavio

*